I am thinking about purshasing a refurbished physical server for VIRL, but I have a couple of questions.
Here are the requirements provided on http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/ :
- Four CPU cores and 8GB of DRAM, more resources allows for larger simulations
- Intel VT-x / EPT or AMD-V / RVI virtualization extensions present and enabled in the BIOS
- Directly on VMware Fusion, Workstation or Player also on ESXi 5.1U2 (Build 1483097) or ESXi 5.5U1 (Build 1623387)
Cannot find clear answer to these quastions:
- Will a CPU with VT-x feature, but not EPT, make the deal? (or CPU with AMD-V but not RVI)
- From http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/, I cannot find inf. about performance: How many IOSv, IOS XRv, NX-OSv, CSR1000v we can start in the same time?
- Knowing that, CSR1000v alone requires 4GB of RAM and IOS XRv about ~ 2GB of RAM, 8GB machine will not realy allow to run many machines in the same time. Worse if mixed platforms (According to I. Pepelnjak: http://blog.ipspace.net/2013/10/cisco-modeling-lab-virl-behind-scenes.html)
- At what extend can we prepare CCNA/CCNP DC or eventually CCIE DC with NX-OSv on VIRL?
Please let me know If I can forward these questions to more apropriate forum or maybe VIRL product manager.