4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2015 3:55 PM by dayibqalib

VIRL physical machine requirements and performances

abdel_n

Hi,

I am thinking about purshasing a refurbished physical server for VIRL, but I have a couple of questions.

Here are the requirements provided on http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/ :

• Four CPU cores and 8GB of DRAM, more resources allows for larger simulations
      • Intel VT-x / EPT or AMD-V / RVI virtualization extensions present and enabled in the BIOS
      • Directly on VMware Fusion, Workstation or Player also on ESXi 5.1U2 (Build 1483097) or ESXi 5.5U1 (Build 1623387)

Cannot find clear answer to these quastions:

• Will a CPU with VT-x feature, but not EPT, make the deal? (or CPU with AMD-V but not RVI)
      • From http://virl-dev-innovate.cisco.com/, I cannot find inf. about performance: How many IOSv, IOS XRv, NX-OSv, CSR1000v we can start in the same time?
      • At what extend can we prepare CCNA/CCNP DC or eventually CCIE DC with NX-OSv on VIRL?

Please let me know If I can forward these questions to more apropriate forum or maybe VIRL product manager.

AJ

• 1. Re: VIRL physical machine requirements and performances
          gcheria

Hi AJ

Request to refer this pdf  for related information.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/cloud-systems-management/modeling-labs/q-and-a-c67-731850.pdf

What are the system requirements for Cisco Modeling Labs?

The Cisco Modeling Labs Server Corporate Edition requires a minimum of 16 GB and 4 CPU cores in a Linux server with VMware ESXi 5.1, or above, software. To take advantage of the scalability of the corporate edition, the Cisco Unified Computing System(Cisco UCS®) C220 M3 Rack Server (16-core CPU, 128 GB) is recommended for up to 40 virtual nodes, and the Cisco UCS C460 (40-core CPU, 256 GB) is recommended for more virtual-node simulations. The customer can choose to deploy with hardware other than the Cisco UCS; however, the performance of other brands of servers may not be the same as Cisco UCS.

Thanks and Regards,

Geevarghese

• 2. Re: VIRL physical machine requirements and performances
            abdel_n

Thanks Geevarghese for the information,

Though I have been answered, I must say I am very disappointed by Cisco response.

The corporate CML looks very interesting, but not VIRL at least the way it is presented to the community. I was expecting something more from Cisco to its community than that :

...without any formal usability support but rather community support. It does not provide patches for known problems

, no roadmap for future features, or training...

And almost ~$10,000 for the recommended CML HW: UCS C460 (40 core CPU, 256 GB).

• 3. Re: VIRL physical machine requirements and performances
              gmachado11

Hi AJ,

With all my respects you have very good questions but you had vague answers.

It is very much appreciated an answer that is clear and direct to the point.

I want to take this reply opportunity to ask another question.

What if I want to use a LAPTOP to run the Cisco modeling application. What is the minimum requirement for a LAPTOP to run VIRL application? Is that am i5 3500 series or an i5 2600 series?  Please provide no vague answers.

Please be specific.

Thank you.

Gilson

• 4. Re: VIRL physical machine requirements and performances
                dayibqalib

To be honest, I am also confused what Laptop i should be having.  I am currently waiting for this Laptop:

20E2CTO1WWThinkPad W550s

- Intel Core i7-5600U Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.20GHz)
                - Windows 8.1 64
                - Windows 8.1 64 - WE MUI
                - 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN
                - NVIDIA Quadro K620M 2GB
                - 16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (1 SoDIMM)
                - ThinkPad New Precision Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad UK English
                - UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
                - 720p HD Camera
                - 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, 2.5"
                - ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Polymer (44Whr) Front
                - ThinkPad Battery 3 cell Li-Ion (23.2Whr) Rear
                - 65W AC Adapter - UK
                - Intel 7265 AC/B/G/N Dual Band Wireless + Bluetooth Version 4.0
                - Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
                - Publication - WE (FR/GE/IT/DU/EN)
                - 3 Year On-site