ellenthomson

Question about CUCM & CME licensing

Discussion created by ellenthomson on Feb 8, 2012
Latest reply on Feb 15, 2012 by ellenthomson

Hello All

I know this may seem a strange question but I am struggling to find an answer to it and am hoping this is the correct place to post the question and get an answer.

Our organisation currently has a CUCM cluster. When new phones are needed the organisation buys the phones and the required number of licenses for the phones.

Each of the 3 remote sites has a 2851 running in SRST mode if it looses contact with the CUCM servers.

I know all the theory about CUCM etc but I am new to administering it on a live network. There are a couple of questions which have been asked lately that I am unclear of.

1. There are some plans to add 4 more remote sites to the system, the question has been asked if more phone licenses need to be bought. I have advised that licenses are bought with the phones (depending on the phone model). The phones are new not spares so they need the licenses.

2. If some of the original sites decided to break away from the current set-up and use their 2851 in CME mode will they need to buy more licenses for their phones. I was unclear of the position on this but I did not think it possible to transfer CUCM licenses to CME.

I am sorry if this is rather a basic question but although I have spent a bit of time looking through Cisco documentation on licensing I am still unclear on the answers to these questions.

I would appreciate any help on this

Regards

Outcomes