KSTANZL

Is a User Device Profile a User for 3&3 UCL upgrades?

Discussion created by KSTANZL on Dec 22, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 by Srinivasan Kilambi

How do you determine the no. of users for the 3&3 migration based on the current configs?

i.e.  I have a large customer (13,000 phones and with 22,000 User Device Profiles set up) and currently looking to migrate from CUCM 4.1 to 8.6.

So would that be 13,000 enhanced users and 9,000 essential users?

Based on various presentations when UCL/3&3 was launched if you had lots of user and hot desking that was the correct way to license.  i.e. when you had more “users” than physical phones.

However, with this customer a lot of the User Device Profiles have been created to call forward the directory number to Voicemail.  If these were to be recreated as a CTI route point would they then not count as a user and therefore not require a UCL license?

The 3&3 costs for 9000 plus essential users is no small beer ~$80k list, so would be good to know what the correct position on this is. i.e. a bit of config work would save a lot of $

Is there any definition of what a “user” is for UCL as I can’t find it in the ordering guides?

Whilst for a CUCM 8 upgrade this doesn't matter as UDP are not enforced by DLUs, I'm intyerested to see what will happen in CUCM 9 plus when there may be some form of user licensing count and sudderly 9000 UDPs may not work as they are not licensed folloing an upgrade.

Outcomes