Configuring EIGRP with ACI L3 Outs and UCS Director
Routing protocol choice is a personal preference, and worthy of a good debate anytime. For me, I tend to drift towards EIGRP when all options are open to me for enterprise use. When I started building ACI Network Automation use cases in UCS Director I was a bit disappointed to find that the Out of the Box tasks haven't been updated to support EIGRP configurations on L3 Outs, however I took this as a great opportunity and reason to dive into Custom APIC Task creation.
Several of my peers here at Cisco (Russ Whitear/Jose Moreno to name two) have done some excellent work building templates for converting APIC API calls to UCS Director tasks to make it fairly trivial to fill in any gaps that might come up when automating ACI, so thankfully much of the heavy lifting was done for me.
In order to configure an L3 Out (or Routed Outside) network to support EIGRP as the routing protocol, three steps are needed.
- Create an EIGRP Interface Policy
- Enable EIGRP on the Routed Network
- Assign the EIGRP Policy to the Logical Interface Profile
This turned into 6 Custom Tasks in UCS Director, 1 to take the action, and one to roll it back.
Each task is built to take the most relevant input type, and provide outputs similar to the outputs that are generated from the out of the box APIC tasks. Here is an example of passing in task inputs, and the outputs that are generated from one of the tasks.
I've also added in the options needed to fully configure the elements. For example, here you can see configuring the EIGRP parameters as part of the interface policy.
In the attached WFDX file, I'm also including a sample workflow using these three tasks to configure an L3 out for EIGRP. YOu'll need to provide the following User Inputs to reference the already deployed L3 out from APIC.
Any questions or problems, let me know.
|Name||EZ Cloud APIC EIGRP Tasks|
|Category||Workflow and Tasks|
Instructions for Regular Workflow Use:
- Download the attached .ZIP file below to your computer. *Remember the location of the saved file on your computer.
- Unzip the file on your computer. Should end up with a .WFD file.
- Log in to UCS Director as a user that has "system-admin" privileges.
- Navigate to "Policies-->Orchestration" and click on "Import".
- Click "Browse" and navigate to the location on your computer where the .WFD file resides. Choose the .WFD file and click "Open".
- Click "Upload" and then "OK" once the file upload is completed. Then click "Next".
- Click the "Select" button next to "Import Workflows". Click the "Check All" button to check all checkboxes and then the "Select" button.
- Click "Submit".