The purpose of this document is to illustrate all steps to deploying a fully functioning ESXi Baremetal workflow in UCS Director. This document was written and tested using the ‘UCSD - Bare Metal UCSM + MDS + Netapp Example’ workflow from the UCS Director Communities site. This workflow can be found here: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-52546 . This document includes configuring prerequisites such as Service Profile Templates in UCSM, configuring User Inputs in the workflow settings, and any other necessary configuration to successfully deploy ESXi on a Baremetal Blade Server.
This document is not necessarily a best practices document; rather, it’s simply a document that provides all the necessary steps to get a working ESXi Baremetal workflow in UCS Director.
- You have the appropriate network VLANs in place between your UCS Chassis and the UCS Director BMA Server located on your VMware vCenter.
- Virtual and Physical accounts have already been setup in UCS Director.
- UCS Director BMA 5.3 is installed and integrated with UCS Director.
- UCS Director BMA 5.3 is installed and tested prior to following this guide. If you have not done so, you need to stop here, go install it and come back to this document when done. I have documented the BMA installation, upgrade and testing/validation steps on the UCS Director Communities site, ‘UCSD Baremetal Agent Installation (5.2 -> 5.3)’. This document can be found here: https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-61011 .
- NetApp Array has been upgraded or downgraded to the FW/SW revision specified in the FW/SW levels section.
- UCS Manager has been upgraded or downgraded to the FW/SW revision specified in the FW/SW levels section.
- MDS switches have been upgraded or downgraded to the FW/SW revision specified in the FW/SE levels section.
- UCS Director 188.8.131.52
- UCS Director BMA 5.3
- UCS Manager 2.2(3e)
- MDS NX-OS 5.2(6a)
- VMware vCenter Server 5.1.0 Build 2306353
- NetApp 8.1.2 7 Mode
The attached workflow 'Provision Blade from Server Pool for VMware ESXi.zip' is the workflow that was created using this guide. It includes the following modifications to the original workflow:
- Baremetal ESXi from Server Pool
- ESXi Host Manual IP assignment
- SP Name = ESXi Host Name
- SP Add Description and/or User Label
- Set Server Name and/or User Label