This workflow provisions ESXi Host booting from SAN and Integrates with vCenter Server and Nexus 1000v DVSwitch on Vblock 7XX Converged Stack.
Compatible UCS Director Versions:
UCS Director 5.0.x
Virtualization, Compute, Network and Storage
Cisco UCS Director
Cisco UCS Director Baremetal Agent
VCE Vblock 7XX
- The Vblock 7XX Infrastructure components (VMware vCenter, Cisco UCSM, Cisco Nexus 5Ks, MDS Switches (If any), Cisco Nexus 1000v & EMC VMAX Storage Array) are added into UCS Director
- UCS Director BMA is integrated into UCS Director
- VMware ESXi Image (with N1Kv) from VCE is configured in BMA. For more information please refer 'Configure ESXi PXE Image'
- Modify 'ks.cfg' file under /opt/cnsaroot/templates/<ESXi_Image_Name> folder to enable ESXi Install on SAN Boot LUN
- Comment the below line with '#"
# install --firstdisk --overwritevmfs
- Uncomment the below line by removing '#"
install --firstdisk=remote --overwritevmfs
- UCS Service Profile Template is created with 2 vNICs & 2 vHBAs, Boot Order is configured with FC Boot First and LAN Second, FC Target Ports are added into SAN Boot Policy and Boot LUN ID is set to '0'. vHBA-0 desired order set to '0' and vHBA-1 desired order set to '1'. Service Profile's Power State set to 'Off'.
- UCS Service Profile Template vNICs (eth0 & eth1) are configured with BMA PXE VLAN and set it as Native VLAN.
- Create 'Port Group to DV Port Group Mapping Policy' in UCS Director to Migrate ESXi default vSwitch0 to N1Kv DVSwitch during workflow execution.
- Policies --> Virtual/Hypervisor Policies --> Network --> Port Group to DV Port Group Mapping Policy
- Click on 'Add' --> Enter 'Policy Name' as 'Mgmt_DV_PortGroup_Mapping_Policy'
- Add comments to 'Description' field (optional)
- Select ‘Cloud Name’ from dropdown (vCenter Account)
- Click on 'Next'
- Click on “+” button to add the Mapping.
- Enter ‘Port Group Name’ as ‘Management Network’
- Select appropriate ‘DV Port Group Name’ from the drop down. (This port group should be for ESXi Management Network on DVSwitch)
- Click on 'Submit' and Click on 'Submit'
- (Optional) ESXi Cluster's Masking View is pre-created with Initiator Group, Port Group and Storage Group on VMAX for Shared VMFS Datastore access.
Workflow Tasks Included:
- Create UCS Service Profile from Template
- Select UCS Server
- Setup PXE Boot with BMA Selection
- Generic Configure SAN Zoning
- Create VMAX Initiator Group
- Create VMAX Port Group
- Create VMAX Thin Devices
- Bind Thin Devices to VMAX Thin Pool
- Create VMAX Storage Group
- Add Thin Devices to VMAX Thin Group
- Create VMAX Masking View
- Associate UCS Service Profile
- Reset UCS Server
- Monitor PXE Boot
- Create VMAX Cascaded Initiator Group (Custom Task)
- Reset UCS Server
- Wait for Specified Duration
- Register Host with vCenter
- Create VMware Port Group
- Add Hosts to DVSwitch
- Migrate vSwitch VMkernel Port to DVSwitch (Custom Task)
- Migrate Default vSwitch to DVSwitch by Mapping Policy
- Add Virtual Adapter (vMotion Interface)
The below user inputs should be provided by user after executing the workflow.
|User Input||User Input Description|
|ESXI_HOSTNAME||Enter ESXi Hostname|
|ESXI_CLUSTER||Select ESXi Cluster to which it need to be added|
|ESXI_MANAGEMENT_IP||Enter ESXi Management Network IP Address|
|ESXI_VMOTION_IP_OR_IPPOOL||Enter an IP Address or IP Pool range for VMotion interface|
|N1KV_L3_CONTROL_IP_OR_IPPOOL||Enter IP Address or IP Address Pool Range for N1Kv L3 Control Access Interface.|
|UCS_SERVER_BLADE||Select UCS Server Blade to install VMware ESXi Hypervisor|
The Admin Input values are pre-defined in the workflow by the admin user. Edit the Workflow properties, go to user inputs section and modify the below inputs appropriately.
|User Input||User Input Description|
|ESXI_ROOT_PASSWORD||Enter ESXi root user password|
|ESXI_MANAGEMENT_SUBNETMASK||Enter VMware ESXi Management Network's Subnet Mask|
|ESXI_MANAGEMENT_GATEWAY_IP||Enter VMware ESXi Management Network's Gateway IP|
|ESXI_MANAGEMENT_VLAN||Enter ESXi Management VLAN ID|
|ESXI_VMOTION_SUBNET_MASK||Enter ESXi VMotion Subnet Mask|
|DOMAIN_NAME_SERVER_IP||Enter DNS Server IP Address|
|ESXI_HOST_LICENSE||Enter ESXi Host License Key|
|ESXI_VMOTION_DV_PORTGROUP||Select N1Kv DV Port Group for vMotion Interface|
|VCENTER_ACCOUNT||Select VMware vCenter Account|
|VCENTER_DATACENTER_NAME||Enter VMware vCenter Datacenter Name (The Datacenter in which the ESXi Host is going to be added to ESXi Cluster)|
|N1KV_DVSWITCH||Select N1Kv DV Switch Name|
|N1KV_L3_CONTROL_PORTGROUP||Select N1Kv L3 Control Access Port Group|
|N1KV_MGMT_UPLINK_PORTGROUP||Select N1Kv Management Uplink Port Group|
|N1KV_L3_CONTROL_VLAN||Enter VLAN ID for N1Kv L3 Control Access Interface|
|N1KV_L3_CONTROL_SUBNET_MASK||Enter Subnet Mask for N1Kv L3 Control Access Network|
|MGMT_PORTGROUP_MAPPING_POLICY||Select N1Kv Management Portgroup Mapping Policy|
|UCS_ORGANIZATION||Select UCS Organization|
|UCS_SP_TEMPLATE||Select UCS Service Profile Template|
|SAN_FABRIC_SWITCH_A1||Select SAN Fabric Switch A|
|SAN_FABRIC_SWITCH_B1||Select SAN Fabric Switch B|
|SANBOOT_TARGET_PORTS_FABRIC_A||Select VMAX FC Target Port for SAN Zoning on Fabric A|
|SANBOOT_TARGET_PORTS_FABRIC_B||Select VMAX FC Target Port for SAN Zoning on Fabric B|
|SAN_BOOT_STORAGE_CONTROLLER||Select SAN Boot Storage Controller|
|SANBOOT_LUN_THINPOOL||Select the Thin Pool for binding SAN Boot LUN|
|SANBOOT_LUN_SIZE||Select SAN Boot LUN Size (GB)|
|SANBOOT_HOST_LUN_ID||Enter SAN Boot LUN Host ID (Should match UCS Service Profile Template Boot Policy)|
|SELECT_VMAX_SAN_FC_TARGET_PORTS||Select VMAX SAN FC Target Ports for SAN Boot|
|VMAX_ESXI_CLUSTER_IG||Select VMAX ESXi Cluster Parent Initiator Group (Note: This is an optional input , if ESXi Cluster Parent Initiator Group does'nt exist, uncheck the admin input)|
Workflow Additional Configuration:
After configuring the admin inputs, open the workflow using workflow designer and modify the below "TASKS" with appropriate user inputs. (Note: In upcoming versions, the below inputs should be able to configured as admin input values)
- Select UCS Server (Select UCS Server for ESXi Host): Open the Task ---> Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Next' ---> Click on 'Revalidate' button --> Select appropriate 'UCSM' account, Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Submit'
- Setup PXE Boot with BMA Selection (Configure PXE Server for ESXi Install): Open the Task ---> Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Next' ---> Select BMA Account ---> Select configured ESXi OS Image in BMA and Set appropriate 'Timezone', Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Submit'
- Generic Configure SAN Zoning (Configure SAN Zones on Fabric-A and Fabric-B): Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Next' ---> Click on 'Revalidate' button --> Under 'Fabric A', Storage Account Type should be set to 'EMC VMAX Solutions Enabler' and appropriate VMAX account is selected for Storage Account Name (Primary). Under 'Fabric B', Storage Account Type should be set to 'EMC VMAX Solutions Enabler' and appropriate VMAX account is selected for Storage Account Name (Primary), Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Submit'
- Register Host with vCenter (Add ESXi Host to Cluster on vCenter): Open the Task ---> Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Next' ---> Select VMware vCenter Account Name, Click 'Next' ---> Click 'Submit'
Instructions for Use:
- Download the attached .ZIP file below to your computer. *Remember the location of the saved file on your computer.
- Unzip the file on your computer. Should end up with a .WFDX file.
- Log in to UCS Director as a user that has "system-admin" privileges.
- Navigate to "Policies-->Orchestration" and click on "Import".
- Click "Browse" and navigate to the location on your computer where the .WFDX file resides. Choose the .WFDX file and click "Open".
- Click "Upload" and then "OK" once the file upload is completed, Select 'Deploy_ESXi_Host_On_Vblock_7XX' and Then click "Next".
- Click "Submit".
- A new folder called 'Vblock-7XX-Validated' should appear in "Policies-->Orchestration" that contains the imported workflow. You will now need to update the included tasks with information specific to the environment. (See Above)