Welcome to the December edition of the DevNet update, your connection to Cisco DevNet. Once you've read this edition let us know what you think!. There’s never been a better time to join DevNet - read why!
Note: Please scroll down to the articles below if the links above are not active.
Here’s what you’ll find in this issue:
Happy Holidays from Cisco DevNet!
Code a Holiday Card and We Donate
We love giving back and we love helping people code. This holiday season when you code a holiday card and share it with your friends - you help others! How? For each holiday card you create and share, Cisco DevNet will donate $1 to Girls Inc. It just takes a minute to create a card! Code and give now!
Cisco DevNet Gift Giving Guide
Since we always appreciate a bit of help trying to come up with gift ideas around the holiday season, the DevNet team has assembled some of our favorite items for your friends and family. So from our family to yours, we hope you have a great, fun, and perfect gift giving holiday!
Back to top
Understand Your Customers Better with Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences (CMX)
Imagine being able to send personalized content directly to your customers based on their preferences and their real-time indoor location. You can with Cisco Connected Mobile Experiences (CMX)! CMX is a smart Wi-Fi solution that uses the Cisco wireless infrastructure to detect and locate mobile devices. Learn what you can do with open APIs where you can develop your own location-enabled apps or integrate ones you already use. Check out the updated CMX portal where you can:
Back to top
- Learn how to code with the CMX APIs in these new learning labs or complete the full learning module:
- Introduction to CMX 10 Mobility Services: Learn how the CMX 10 REST APIs can provide indoor location based services.
- CMX 10 Mobility Services REST API: Learn how you can use the Mobility Services Engine (MSE) API to identify map, network, floor, and device information.
- CMX Deep Dive using the Notifications resource: Learn about CMX 10 northbound notifications subscriptions.
- Find sample code and scripts such as the CMX Sample Rest Code and Notification Listener.
- Test your code in the CMX Sandbox! It's the cloud service you can use to quickly integrate and test your solutions with Cisco technologies.
- Read what others are saying and ask your CMX questions in the forum, read the blogs, and connect.
Get Ready for the DevNet Zone at Cisco Live Berlin
We are excited to bring you 6 great panel sessions to the DevNet Zone theatre with leading industry experts. Panels are a great way to get the big picture of Cisco software platforms and APIs and to get direct insight from panel experts. After the panel, sign up for a classroom session or hands-on workshop to learn more. Check out our panels:Your Time is Now - Lead. Inspire. Empower: Women in Tech (Open to Everyone!)
Start your week by connecting and learning with the Cisco Connected Women's Network. It's a global community to attract, develop, retain, and celebrate women as part of a competitive and diverse workforce. Don't miss the inaugural event on Monday, Feb 20th! Then dig into the code (bring your laptop!) in our DevNet Women in Tech Workshops:
Join Us for Events Taking Place Before Cisco Live
- DevNet Women in Tech Workshop - Intro to IoT
Join us for a hands-on workshop using Cisco DevIoT and DIY electronics Arduino kit. IoT links smart objects to the internet and will be driving the next era of business transformations. This workshop is designed for anyone who wants to get hands-on with hardware and software in a supportive environment! Note: Arduino Kits and other supplies will be provided, bring your laptop.
- DevNet Women in Tech Workshop - Intro to Spark
This workshop is designed for anyone who wants to get hands-on with Cisco Spark software in a supportive environment! It includes an introduction to programming along with a fun hands-on exercise creating your own Spark bot. Prerequisites: Bring your laptop.
Arrive in Berlin early to join us for events taking place before Cisco Live. If you are interested, please register soon - space is limited!
Looking for what we offer onsite? Click here to find and register for DevNet sessions. Come see us to learn, code, inspire, and connect to innovate on top of Cisco technologies and platforms.
Get a head start with DevNet before Berlin? Join DevNet and access our free learning tracks from APIC-EM to Collaboration Cloud. And connect with us on Twitter @CiscoDevNet.
Back to top
Discover [and Submit Your Own] Solutions in DevNet Creations
With DevNet Creations, you can showcase your solutions and discover others that are built with Cisco APIs. It's a platform of ideas, innovations, and inspirations - all designed to get you involved and inspired. Want to submit your idea and be featured below? Log in and go here! Check out the following:
Back to top
|AudSpark is a platform for users to easily access Cisco Spark using voice commands! Not everyone wants to use APIs to access Spark. Check out the ease of use of Voice commands by encouraging you to use Spark in your day to day collaboration.|
|Use the Amazon Echo's Alexa Skills Kit in combination with UCS PowerTool to manage your UCS with voice! By combining the Alexa Skills Kit, Amazon Cloud resources and UCS PowerTool now you can with this DevNet Creation: Managing UCS Compute with Amazon Echo!|
10 Modules + 32 Labs = Our New Digital Network Architecture Learning Track
With all the talk about Cisco DNA it's important to understand the fundamentals and building blocks - and we have you covered. More good news? It's free. All you need is a Cisco CCO ID to log in to DevNet to get started. Our labs start with the fundamentals of setting up your system, DNA concepts as well as REST and coding fundamentals. Read more from Brett Tiller about the New Digital Network Architecture Learning Track.Want more Cisco DNA? Check out the following blog series and find a DevNet Express event near you:
Get all of this information and more in our Cisco DNA Community - jump in, connect with others, and get your questions answered.
Back to top
Developers Accelerate Innovation… DevNet Accelerates Developers
We can help partners build and accelerate your software practice! With our powerful collection of tools, resources, communities and events, you can quickly get your software solutions to market. Read more:
Back to top
- Get the details of how DevNet accelerates developers and how software can be a competitive advantage and differentiator by Susie Wee, VP & CTO of Networked Experiences
- Read how DevNet helps partners innovate faster and hear directly from our DevNet Innovators: iland (who is a top provider of Disaster Recovery as a Service and their solution is built on a Cisco platform that utilizes Cisco APIs and DevNet), Phunware (they use CMX and the DevNet Sandbox), and Turnstyle (using Cisco APIs and DevNet to improve Subway's customer retention).
Recent Event Highlights
The best part of our job is getting to meet, hack, connect, and have fun with you. Recent event highlights:
Back to top
- In just 48 hours over 140 participants took part in the Cisco City’Zen Bots Hackathon in Paris on December 9-11. Participants had the opportunity to amplify city bots and re-invent a city. Congratulations to everyone and to the winning teams and watch the video highlights!
- 1st prize went to team Thibs! They created a bot using Cisco Spark, Tropo, and OpenDataSoft that lets you to know where your loved ones are and if they reached their destination safely.
- 2nd prize to team Jimmy Bartender! Using Cisco Spark, Meraki, and Recast.AI they created a solution for bars to connect and engage with their customers over Wi-Fi and to streamline the drink ordering process.
- 3rd prize was awarded to Mapwise! They created a geolocalized indoor location solution with Cisco Spark and Meraki. You'll never get lost in an unknown building and you'll always be in contact with a virtual guide.
- Hack-o-life highlights: read the details and results.
- ZendCon: Web developer conference aimed towards PHP Developers, ZenD Framework developers, and the general web developer community.
- Read why Serverless Conference in London breaks the hype!
Featured Event: FOSDEM 2017
FOSDEM 2017 is February 4-5, 2017 in Brussels and it's free to attend! If you aren't familiar with the event, it is considered the premier open source conference in all of Europe and is organized by the open source community for the open source community. The goal is to provide open source software developers and communities a place to meet to connect with other developers, collaborate on projects, attend presentations on various topics, and to promote the development and benefits of open source solutions. What's new this year? Cisco DevNet is helping organize the SDN and NFV devroom!
Here's some of our upcoming events - please come see us as we are out and about! Find our full list of events here.Back to top
Also of Interest
Back to top
About DevNet and the DevNet Update
Thanks for reading! DevNet is Cisco’s Developer Program and we provide tools and information that help you produce Cisco-enabled applications to sell to customers, and/or use APIs to enhance or manage your network. Follow us on Twitter @CiscoDevNet and check out our blogs.
Not a DevNet member yet? Signing up is free and easy. Create a Cisco ID, then sign into DevNet. Know someone that might be interested in DevNet? Please forward them the newsletter. Let us know how we’re doing!
Back to top
Thanks for reading and Happy New Year!
Cisco DevNet team